Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Riverside Cottage

In message , Jim White
writes
In message
Tim Lamb wrote:

[snip]

Have a look for an approved fabricator for Schuco or Reynaers systems.
IIRC they both offer slim sections.

Top hung should be fine, but may require restrictors to combat the
danger of a fall hazard. Have you considered tilt and turn?

Friction stays on higher end systems are better engineered. I agree many
resemble meccano, and appear flimsy.

Personally, I detest uPVC. It creaks and groans in hot weather, and
whilst staying white, the gloss does degrade. Good aluminium is robust,
and you have the options of a huge range of powder coat colours if
required.

Trawling the showrooms has failed to find any slim aluminium windows on
display.

The 18K quote was Schuco.

The response has been encouraging regarding hinging and friction stays.
I take the points about restrictors as we have visiting grandchildren.

I think we will pursue the aluminium solution and ditch any idea of
reusing the existing timber units.

--
Tim Lamb