Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Riverside Cottage

Tim Lamb wrote:
Also, also my wife who is somewhat challenged vertically came back
from a jaunt to the Cotswolds determined that fanlights are out! (hard
to clean and hard to reach). The new *in* is top hung bottom latched
full length openers.

Thoughts please. Does uPVC really stay clean and shiny for 20 years?

Are these fancy sliding fixings reliable?

Can a bottom opening style meet the fire escape regulations.

Well, all my cheapy opening PVC windows are top hung and bottom
latched. We have had one hinge failure in 35 years on a big 3.5H x 4W
ft unit. This cost £35 to have replaced. The finish is still excellent
even on the South facing units, which get full sun in summer. They are
easier to meet fire escape regulations with as the access is so good.
However, the opening mechanism must be childproofed to stop them
committing suicide when they fall out which they try to do regularly.
The locking mechanism is very flimsy, but the favoured tool for breaking
in is a blow lamp, so that doesn't really come into it. Make sure the
glass is fitted from the inside, this is easier to fit and more secure.