Posted to alt.home.repair
sam[_18_] sam[_18_] is offline

Default window mount cool/heat air conditioners?

We've been looking for decent heat/cool units for small rentals for poor
people.

After listening to people on this newsgroup and talking with air
conditioning repairmen, I guess we will stay away from mini-splits.
Guess we will continue with window heat/cool units if we can find
something decent.

Some years ago, I bought a half-dozen Amana, window-mount, heat pumps.
They had mechanical controls and they were something like 18000 to 24000
BTU. These units are still in service and mostly worry free.

Unfortunately, it appears that I can't get the simple mechanical controls
anymore. Even Amana has gone to those $%&*%^^ electronic controls. I
just picked up a 12000 BTU Amana window-mount, heat pump to check it
out. I'm really disappointed with the design and construction. This
digital control panel will not survive poor people. Not even close.
Been there, tried that.

Does anyone make a commercial-grade, window mount heat-pump with
mechanical controls? Or perhaps you have some experience with other
decent systems? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Generally speaking, I don't have the room required for PTAC's in these
units .....