Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inside Electric Mountain: Britain's biggest rechargeable battery

On 16 May 2016 21:31:51 GMT, Huge wrote:

What's even more amazing is that with the press of a button

marked
"MAXGEN"[1], it can go from zero to full output in 15 seconds.

I think that's from in sync spinning in air, rather than

stationary.

They keep one turbine spinning all the time in order to provide
"instant" output. I think it's rather less that 15 seconds, too.

The information about the various start times seems to have
disappeared from the web. A turbine on line and using water I should
imagine can go from "tickover" to full chat as fast as the inlet
valve can open. As you say I'd expect rather less than 15 seconds.

I wonder how many tonnes of water per second each turbine uses at
maxium output?

--
Cheers
Dave.