Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Making a window

On 5/17/2016 2:51 PM, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
GB wrote:
Where I fall down is the skills to make joints at the four corners. Are
there any fitments I can just drill in to join the wood at the corners?
They would need to be fairly sturdy, as this is an opening casement.

You'd likely get away with simply glueing and screwing. Most joints date
back to before either. Not to say they aren't better.

Wooden dowels?

Halving joint is pretty simple.

+ 1 for simple cross halving, screwed and glued. Especially if the
frames are reasonably wide. The glass will add a lot of stiffness
against a square frame going diamond shaped.

Rather than try to rout a slot for the glass, it is easier to rout or
plane a rebate and retain the glass with a bead. If the glass is bedded
in putty, the final assembly will be strong in shear.