Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making a window

On 17/05/2016 19:08, GB wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
You'd likely get away with simply glueing and screwing. Most joints
date
back to before either. Not to say they aren't better.

Wooden dowels?

Halving joint is pretty simple.

Any screws would inevitably be into the end grain, though. I thought
there might be special end-grain fixings, but I can't find any.

Can be pretty successful if you use the correct screws and pilot
holes, in
conjunction with a decent glue. Not saying by any means it's the
strongest
joint, but probably OK for a window frame that isn't load bearing.

I'll have a go. I don't think my carpentry is up to even a halving joint.

The original plan was to get this done by a joinery shop. I have phoned
five or six, and only one answered the phone. He wanted £115 + VAT,
which seemed like quite a lot to me.

Is it an outside window which will be subject to 'weather'?

The problem you'll have is that unless the joints are really tight,
water will get in and start rotting the frame from the corners. If you
get it done by a joinery, you'll get tight-fitting machine-cut mortise
and tenon joints, with far less scope for water ingress.
--
Cheers,
Roger