Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default Removing *some of* the paint from a wooden door, smoothing the surface for new paint

On Mon, 16 May 2016 14:34:25 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/16/2016 10:35 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 5/16/2016 9:29 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Not exactly woodworking, but ...

Two custom-built wooden exterior doors have developed cracks in the
paint, mostly where the original pieces of wood were joined. The paint
has flaked off to bare wood in those areas, leaving maybe 1" exposed,
but the rest of the paint is in reasonable shape.

We're having a guy come paint the door (this is a commercial building,
not my house), but he's a handyman at best (I didn't pick the workman).
We'll have to guide him.

After scraping away the cracked paint, what can we do to smooth the
edges that are left, and prep the door for (primer and) paint? Do we
sand down the edges? Or "putty up" the low spots? Hand sanding? Sander?
Grinder with flap disk? Something else?

Bondo wood filler, applied, sanded and painted, is usually what my
painters use to repair those type areas in doors.

Robert might have some other tricks up his sleeve, so hope he'll chime in.

YMMV ...

Rock Hard makes a great wood filler that can be painted.

Mixes with water no nasty fumes.

+2