Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default I assume the apprentice got it in the neck

On 16/05/2016 12:38, newshound wrote:
On 5/16/2016 11:39 AM, Nightjar cpb wrote:
On 16/05/2016 10:59, wrote:
On Monday, 16 May 2016 10:20:40 UTC+1, GB wrote:
I assume the apprentice got it in the neck. Not fair, really.
Forgetting
your bomb is an easy mistake to make.

It does seem to be a rather basic mistake not to count how many bombs
you have before leaving.

At least it was only a pretend bomb.

"mobile phone device wired to a piece of piping to give it the look of
a real bomb was taped to the back of a toilet door"

Perhaps the security company should consider that real terrorists with
even half a brain make their bombs look like innocuous items and not
bombs!

Perhaps, after this, we will start to see dummy bombs being deployed by
terrorists just to cause as much disruption as possible.

Well, the IRA used to send fake bomb warnings in the 1970's, even less
risky than planting fake bombs and nearly as disruptive, especially
after Elfin Safety got involved.

The IRA had the advantage of being known to be capable of planting the
real thing and having recognised code words for their warnings.

After one such at my workplace, I recall being asked by Tannoy to look
around my laboratory for anything obviously out-of-place. There was
subsequently much debate over whether this was an appropriate
instruction, although to my mind it was perfectly reasonable. Even a
bomb expert would have little hope of quickly recognising a bomb
masquerading as a piece of our home-brew instrumentation, although I
suppose a trained dog or modern explosive sniffers might have a better
chance.

The vast majority of bomb warnings (99.9% according to one source) are
entirely false and involve no device, real or fake. Therefore, unless
there is a very good reason to believe the threat is genuine, the first
step is always to search the premises, which is usually best done by
people who know the area well.

The search also serves to keep people occupied and out of the evacuation
routes until they have been cleared. In a real attack, they may be where
bombs are planted for maximum effect. In the recent Brussels bombing,
running from the first blast took many people towards the second.

--
Colin Bignell