Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT. GM fuel mileage overstated

On 5/15/2016 4:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/15/2016 7:29 AM, Don Y wrote:

Neither of us enjoy time traveling; nothing gets done beyond
changing your position on the globe -- "We'll wait for it to come
out on DVD..."

We enjoy travel. Meeting people, seeing things, experiencing local customers,
especially in foreign countries.

I traveled A LOT when I was younger (work, leisure, etc.). Now, I would
welcome a "transporter" (star trek). We engage lots of different people
due to our "social" schedules, groups with which we are involved, etc.
Not the sort of people that *I* would seek out (being far more
"technical" by nature) but often interesting, nonetheless. Thankfully,
I'm a "quick study" so I can usually dive into a discussion of some
brand new topic/field in short order. IME, people much prefer having
YOU ask them about stuff than the other way around...

A "special dinner" is *me* spending the day to prepare one of her
favorites -- along with suitable desserts. If she could buy it in
a restaurant (or bakery), it wouldn't be special -- it would just
be "yet another credit card charge".

I often do the same, but again, it is the dining experience we enjoy. We went
to the Culinary Institute for our 50th.
This is just one of the restaurants they have
http://www.ristorantecaterinademedici.com/
others can be seen here
http://www.ciarestaurantgroup.com/

If the 'experience' is waiting for someone to take your order, bring your
drinks, bring you a clean piece of silverware, etc., I'm not keen on it! :
Growing up, "hospitality" was usually indicated by how willing you were
to give folks access to your refrigerator. I.e., "Help yourself".
(It was always forbidden to access someone *else's* refrigerator without
their consent -- you waited for them to GET you what you wanted).

So, when we have folks over, everyone gravitates towards the kitchen
almost magically. As if they lived here.

The same is true when we are invited to friends' for a party, meal, etc.
Walking in with something *purchased* is a cop-out -- a few extra minutes
on the weekly shopping trip and a few extra dollars. OTOH, making
something special *for* them (cheesecake, ice cream, coffee cake,
biscotti, lasagna, electronic doorbell, etc.) represents an investment
of *time*.

Agree. Home made is the only way to go.

Many of the things that I make can't be found in stores. Or, are
of much higher quality/intensity. E.g., I'll make cavatelli (a
sort of "dense shell" macaroni) from scratch -- the *day* they
will be served. Or, a batch of ice cream ripened just enough
to be firm without being *frozen* -- in time for dessert. Or,
a unique clock/timepiece. etc. So, it's not like a homemade
version of something you could have bought at a local store.

(E.g., my butter pecan ice cream has 1/4 pound of butter in
a 2 pint batch: "Wow! This is really buttery!")

At times, it is distressing if the host/hostess *hides* what
I've brought (so THEY could have it for themselves -- after
the guests have left!). But, I've learned not to fret over this
as I *gave* it to them and have no right to decide how *they*
"use" it.

OTOH, it can be embarassing when a guest makes a point of asking
me what I brought -- knowing it would be something good. Then
starts *looking* for it. Esp if they ask the host/hostess about it
("Oh, we didn't put it out; there's so much OTHER stuff here...")

shrug Not my problem.

What's annoying is the stranger who will inevitably ask you to
make some for them: "I'll pay you..." (do you really think
I want to do this for a living??)