Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT. GM fuel mileage overstated

On 5/15/2016 4:04 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 05/14/2016 07:25 PM, Don Y wrote:
We've not yet had the car "on the highway" so no idea what it
will do with the chance to "cruise" (instead of the stop-n-go
that we experience in town). Hard to come up with anyplace
we'd want to *go* that would require any sort of serious
driving! : Might be fun to actually play with some of
its toys while not having to watch for the stop sign at
the next corner...

We have different lifestyles. Last week I took my wife out to dinner for our
anniversary. I chose the restaurant. Three days, nearly two tanks of gas and
745 miles.

Next month we are joining friends for their anniversary. Three days, at least
450 miles.

Neither of us enjoy time traveling; nothing gets done beyond
changing your position on the globe -- "We'll wait for it to come
out on DVD..."

A "special dinner" is *me* spending the day to prepare one of her
favorites -- along with suitable desserts. If she could buy it in
a restaurant (or bakery), it wouldn't be special -- it would just
be "yet another credit card charge".

The same is true when we are invited to friends' for a party, meal, etc.
Walking in with something *purchased* is a cop-out -- a few extra minutes
on the weekly shopping trip and a few extra dollars. OTOH, making
something special *for* them (cheesecake, ice cream, coffee cake,
biscotti, lasagna, electronic doorbell, etc.) represents an investment
of *time*.

Unfortunately, a special dinner for *me* ALSO requires *me* to prepare
it :