Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes[_2_] Mike Barnes[_2_] is offline

Default What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

John Rumm wrote:
On 13/05/2016 16:25, Mike Barnes wrote:
Bert Coules wrote:
I'm thinking about converting a downstairs bathroom to a utility room:
retaining the loo and basin (possibly replacing it with one of a
different
style), removing the bath, adding a washing machine and a tumble
dryer. So
I'll have to install, or have installed, a couple of mains sockets.

Does taking out the bath mean that the bathroom building regs no longer
apply? If not, what is the criterion which defines a bathroom and means
that no sockets are allowed?

AFAIK the definition of "bathroom" has nothing to do with it. It's the
distance between electrical and water fittings that's important and
covered by the regulations.

This is not really true.

See:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Bathroom_electrics

I see... thanks, and I hope no-one was misled by my wrong answer.

So presumably what you and I might regard as a truly *enormous* bedroom,
with a shower cubicle tucked away somewhere in a corner, is classified
for regulatory purposes as a "bathroom"?

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England