Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default STUPID QUESTION No. 5

On Fri, 13 May 2016 17:07:11 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I should bring the van by .....I could buy you dinner....

Forget it. I'm on a diet of sorts.

ok but is there a spool of wire markers FACTORY NUMBERED where the
prenumberd wire larker is peeled off n applied to GROUND REAR
BACK UP LAMP

Nope. You either mark the wire yourself, or pay someone with a
machine to do it for you.

the I would record that wire marker 0001B as 'Ground rear....
in the wiring records book

It probably doesn't matter what numbers you put on the wires as long
as you can identify the wires. So, tow your van down to the nearest
electronic surplus store and dig through the rolls of surplus wire.
Most of the stuff is aerospace overstock where the wires are marked
and can't be re-used with a different marking. Such pre-marked wires
are generally considered useless or ugly, which shouldn't matter much
for your application.

this would appear more mil spec as the factory would produce the
entire rig print glue covering.

It depends on how many wires you want to mark. I can't imagine your
recumbent needing very many wires. A vinyl label maker and clear tape
should suffice.

If you don't care about the mess you're sure to make, I suggest
getting some silk screening mesh, mask off everything except what you
want to print, and screen the text with ink and a squeegee. It's
kinda tricky to do on anything that's not flat, but still possible.

If you really don't care about making a mess, you could just color
code the wire. Or just buy white PVC wire and color your own cables
with solvent based dyes:
http://makezine.com/projects/make-30/stain-pvc-any-color-you-like/

However, if you want to go high tech and do it thyself, it might be
fun to build wire marker from a UV laser and an x-y table. Wire
marking lasers use excimer or solid state (Nd:YAG) 200 to 350nm UV
lasers. A 450nm blue laser will also sorta work. These lasers are
not cheap, but can be found used and abused. Anything about 1.5 watts
or more depending on how fast you want to scribble. Get a CNC
controlled x-y table, add the laser, and blast away.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cnc-laser
Don't forget the safety equipment, glasses, interlocks, insurance,
fire extinguisher, etc.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558