Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First they came for lightbulbs

On 12/05/2016 16:43, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 16:33:44 +0100, Chris B wrote:

Just to give credit to the EU (for once - I don't usually) I think that
the real reason is not to increase efficiency of the kettle but to
reduce the peak load on the generation system when 10 million of them
are turned on at half time in the cup final. Ten million 2.4 kw kettles
is a lot lower peak demand than 10 million 3.0 kw kettles, so you don't
have to have the same peak capacity in the generating system (so their
beloved wind-mills might look more attractive).

Time wasted by 30 million people waiting longer every time they boil the
kettle day in day out cup final or no cup final is of course not counted
by the EU efficiency plonkers

'course, if those 10m kettles were better insulated, then less heat would
be lost while the water is being boiled, and less heat would have been
lost before the kettle is next boiled.

But if you use high powered kettles, the heating time is short and
losses will be minimal. If you also use the right amount of water, there
will be no real stored heat for next time either. It would make sense
for an office kettle though, as people tend to fill those and turn them
on after they've made a drink, so that the next person will find a
nearly boiling kettle.