Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default First they came for lightbulbs

On 12/05/2016 19:24, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 19:06:15 +0100, Nightjar cpb wrote:

BTW, when I said we regulated the size of bread, that was by weight,
not by shape.

Umm, I'd be really quite impressed if you remembered the introduction of
the Assize of Bread and Ale, 1266...

I don't remember 1266 personally, but that was one of the regulations I
had in mind.

Similarly unlikely you'd remember
the Bread Act of 1822, which fixed the weight of a loaf to one pound.

The 1822 Act only applied to London. Other areas were covered by the
Bread Act 1836.

Some might possibly remember the WW2 reduction from 1lb to 14oz, to save
flour, and many here might remember that reduction being made permanent
in 1963.

I suspect almost all here would remember that weight being metricated -
from 397g to 400g - in 1977.

But I'm surprised how few remember the weights of bread loaves being
DEregulated in 2008, for the first time in 750 years...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...les-abandoned-
after-750-years.html

OMG! EUROPE INTERFERING WITH OUR RIGHT TO ONLY HAVE RIGIDLY FIXED WEIGHT
LOAVES! *******S!

--
Colin Bignell