Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default First they came for lightbulbs

On 12/05/2016 19:24, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 19:06:15 +0100, Nightjar cpb wrote:

BTW, when I said we regulated the size of bread, that was by weight,
not by shape.

Umm, I'd be really quite impressed if you remembered the introduction of
the Assize of Bread and Ale, 1266... Similarly unlikely you'd remember
the Bread Act of 1822, which fixed the weight of a loaf to one pound.

Some might possibly remember the WW2 reduction from 1lb to 14oz, to save
flour, and many here might remember that reduction being made permanent
in 1963.

I suspect almost all here would remember that weight being metricated -
from 397g to 400g - in 1977.

But I'm surprised how few remember the weights of bread loaves being
DEregulated in 2008, for the first time in 750 years...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...les-abandoned-
after-750-years.html

OMG! EUROPE INTERFERING WITH OUR RIGHT TO ONLY HAVE RIGIDLY FIXED WEIGHT
LOAVES! *******S!

I do wish that standardised packages were imposed. My current hate is
that ground coffee typically comes in three sizes - 250, 227 and 200
grams. As far as I can see, the only reason for the smaller sizes is to
confuse and mislead customers. Most European makes seem to be standard
250 grams whereas many UK brands use 227 grams and, more recently, seem
to have ever more frequently undercut that with 200 grams.

I would not be against, for example, single-serving packages or whatever
special purposes products might exist being produced in other
appropriate sizes. But the standard commodity packages should be
standard weight.

--
Rod