Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First they came for lightbulbs

On 11/05/2016 23:08, Capitol wrote:
Chris B wrote:
On 11/05/2016 18:30, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 18:03:29 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Then they came for vacuum cleaners, soon kettles and toasters.

Oh, that 2014 fabricated scare-story's come out of hibernation, has it?

What a surprise.

Even the Telegraph backtracked on it a few months ago.

Well its not come out of hibernation yet - its been put on the "back
burner" (If we are still allowed to have such things) until after the
referendum in case it makes people vote to leave.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/36642906-d...#axzz48NVyRLIh

But after the referendum I will wager its "full steam ahead" (well
partial steam ahead anyway from our new low power kettles).

Oh dear, back to buying for stock again! I'm sure the real reason is
to lower electricity demand as the generating capacity is being
destroyed by the EU eco warriors. Back to coal fires people.

But will lower powered kettles, ovens, toasters and other heating
devices lower demand? The power of each will be lower, but as each will
need to be on for longer, there is likely to be a greater overlap and
therefore more operating at any one time. It *might* have an effect at
the ad break in a major event, but that's about all - and that is
already planned for and places like Dinorwig are brought online for the
surge.