Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bye-bye land line telephone

On Thu, 12 May 2016 02:25:37 -0600, Bill wrote:

On 05/11/2016 11:36 PM, wrote:
Actually the DSL is almost as solid as the POTS.
Cable? ... not so much. I had to fire Comcast because they were down
so often and out so long when they went. The drop is swinging in the
air in front of my house.

Way back in 2003 when Comcast launched internet service, reliability was a little sketchy.
But for the last 10 years, Comcast has provided awesome reliability.

At&T U-verse is very reliable as well but all T offers is 6Mb down and less than 1 Mb up. Basically useless for today's web.

My wife still has Comcast at the club and they suck there too
(commercial account)
When she talked to the senior tech (25 years in this area) he said
Comcast bought out all of the mom and pop cable companies in SW
Florida but they have not done much to upgrade the 40 year old
infrastructure and the service sucks at his house too,
Calling customer support is it's own nightmare.
OTOH when Sprint bought out the mom and pop phone company here they
replaced everything with new. The stuff is still pretty old now (20
years) but the backbone is buried fiber and it works very well.
Century link (the latest owner) installed the equipment to allow DSL
to run at 10mb and that seems fast enough for anything I do. It is
very reliable. I would rather have 10m all the time than 50m
intermittently.