Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default bye-bye land line telephone

On 5/11/2016 7:29 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 17:04:07 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

[snip]

Thanks Don - appreciate the input.
I never considered the "loads" of my old telephones ..
maybe someone here has actual experience ?
I did keep my phone number. I will lose phone service for power
outages and for internet system outages, and also the 911 will be
less effective. But the Bell bill has been climbing steadily for 20
years - ~ $ 75. per month compared to $ 20. for the internet
phone. I also switched sat TV from Bell Expressvu - to Shaw -
free receiver; install; no contract ; slightly better programming -
for slightly less money .. ~ $ 65. per month.
The "stay with us " phone calls from Bell were quite lame -
they are not interested in keeping the minimal users -
they are looking for the bigger fish.
I suggested that they sell a " 911 only " plan - for people who
cringe at losing this great feature - it would generate a little
income from otherwise lost customers and provide a continued contact
to customers for future business .. and be a feel good thing -
something lacking - I'd pay a few bucks for it.

A good uninterruptible power supply will keep you in business through
MOST power outages. We don't use one with the Gigaset but only because
if we go to fire up the standby generator in a prolonged outage, the
wall warts for the Gigaset and the Panasonic cordless phone is on one of
the "emergency" circuits.