Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris B[_2_] Chris B[_2_] is offline

Default First they came for lightbulbs

On 11/05/2016 21:25, Steve Walker wrote:
On 11/05/2016 20:42, polygonum wrote:
On 11/05/2016 18:03, Andy Burns wrote:
Then they came for vacuum cleaners, soon kettles and toasters.

How *do* you make a toaster more efficient?

You use a radiant element which has a particularly favourable range of
wavelengths for browning.

You use a radiant element which only emits where there is bread.

You hang your toast-to-be on a washing line or rack and allow most of
its moisture content to evaporate before trying to toast it.

You use sophisticated controls so that you never suffer the double-cost
of burning the toast and then having to toast another batch. (Including
disposing of the burnt toast, using more toast-to-be, cleaning the
toaster and surrounding area, redecorating the kitchen, etc.)

But none of that reverses the simple physical fact that
cooking/heating/baking/toasting will all use less energy by using a high
power for a short time than using lower power for a longer period due to
heat loss - nop matter how good the insulation.

baking/toasting I agree with you but long slow cooking with a slow
cooker is I think more efficient than using an oven for stews and soups.
(I don't fancy toast or roasties made in a slow cooker however)

--
Chris B (News)