Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default Fact or Fiction - LEDs don?t produce heat

On 5/9/2016 6:50 AM, Markem wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2016 06:37:55 -0500, Leon wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote:
We report, you decide.

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles...duce-heat.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therma...igh-power_LEDs

Ok, So it seems that LEDS waste about 70% of the energy that they consume
and that energy becomes heat.

Unless they are IR LEDs

In so much that the typical LED, and all of the ones I have purchased, use
10% or much less energy than a comparable incandescent light I have not
witnessed any heat at all. My sampling has included 3-4 ribbons of LEDs,
multiple strings of LED Christmas lights all plugged into each other, and a
couple of out door 60 watt incandescent coach lights replaced with
equivalency light out put LED bulbs. The biggest consumers of electricity
of this sampling is 7 watts and even those might only be producing about
1/3 the amount of heat of a typical 7 watt incandescent light bulb.

Show me a single LED that consumed 180 watts by itself and I think it, the
LED itself and not the transformer or other involved electronics, will get
hot enough to equal a common 60 watt incandescent light bulb.

You will need more sensitve equipment than your fingers to actually
measure the heat produced. If you wanted to argue about it someone
could, but not me.

Well, I just checked an 60 W equivalent LED in the kitchen and it gets
warm around the base. However, when I found a 60 W incandescent it
didn't take but about a minute to get too hot to touch. Checking the
card a replacement in the drawer is on it says that the 60 W equivalent
LED uses 9.5 W. So the answer to the original question, whether LEDs
produce heat, is yes. But they produce much less heat than
incandescents. I don't expect that a small LED would produce enough heat
to be easily detectable by hand.

Bill