Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival
JXTcs Mighty Wannabe IVjBI JXTcs Mighty  Wannabe IVjBI is offline

Default Flashlight temptation (initial follow up report 5)

My 2 Cents wrote on 5/7/2016 7:48 PM:
On 5/7/2016 8:08 PM, ZUMzX *ighty Wannabe ejqpQ wrote:
My 2 Cents wrote on 5/7/2016 5:38 PM:
On 5/7/2016 6:25 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

After my great grandmother died, we found a ball of string labeled,
"string to short to do anything with". I suppose I inherited some of
those genes.
Here's another thing I don't have... but if I see one at the Dollar
Tree I'll have to have it.
https://www.dollartree.com/Emergency...0905/index.pro

Just to take apart and see what's inside.

That is essentially a battery holder. Four rechargeable AA batteries
will give you close to 5V to charge your devices through the built-in
USB socket.

only two AA batteries... so it must boost the voltage up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mraqng4303Y

Yes, the room near the USB port must be housing the DC-DC converter to
boost the voltage to 5V.

A normal lithium ion battery is 3.7V and requires a 5V USB voltage for
the charging circuit.

My idea of using 4 rechargeable batteries (4.8V) without using a DC-DC
converter is simple and efficient, except if you put 4 alkaline
batteries it becomes 6V (20% over voltage and no limit on output
current) which may damage some sensitive USB devices connected to it.