Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Document Storage

On 5/6/2016 6:47 PM, wrote:

It is definitely easier to scan papers as they come in than trying to go
back and scan piles of paperwork. I did that recently when I went
through our fire safe, took a couple of days to scan them all.

I have *big* boxes of paper documents. E.g., my MULTICS collection is
several cubic feet. I'd need a couple of spare scanners as I'm sure
I'd "burn out" the ones I have! Esp the ADF's!

I've got afew Fujitsu scanners that have scanned close to a million
pages each - much of it double sided - and can scan 20 pages per
minute at 30 dpi all day.

If I wanted to be in the paper scanning business, I'd buy a tool
appropriate for the job! :

I scan anything that I want to preserve at 600dpi in greyscale or color
(as appropriate to the material) in the hope that *someday* OCR is
reliable enough to work "unattended". Too many visual artifacts manifest
at lower rates. And, I have no desire to sit and "proof" each individual
page coming off the scanner.

Sadly there are no 64 bit drivers for them so I've had to look for
replacements.

This goes to the "archive the OS and tools" comment I made.
And, explains why I am reluctant to update OS's "just for
the helluvit" (i.e., for no other technological reason).
I have no desire to repurchase all my hardware devices
(peripherals) AND software tools just to be able to say I'm
running the OS du jour.

[Especially when many of those things cost tens of kilobucks
and/or are no longer commercially available.]

Panasonic makes some nice scanners if you're interests lie in that
area. I know a guy who's been happy with a KV-S3065W (but, he
processes LOTS of paper)

The rubber on the paper feed rollers is starting to
return to it's original latex gum consistanct now at about 10 years of
age (would have to check the id plates for the actual age) so
replacement is becoming necessary even in the 32 bit systems. These

Physical paper handling is always the problem. "Rubber" degrades
over time. Or, gets "slick" from oils, dirt and grime that it picks
up off the surface of the paper. This is particularly true if you
are scanning OLD documents that may have seen a lot of use before
you acquired them.

scanners were worth over $2200 new and I bought most of them used for
around $250 5 nyears ago. (about 25 all together).

I've not even tried to scan my old photos. A week scanning ~50 year
old 35mm slides was grueling enough!

35mm slides are no fun - and negatives are even worse. I have a scsi
interface slide scanner/strip scanner , but again there are no drivers
for current OS.

I used a "slide at a time" scanner -- though I have a B-size scanner that
will support laying dozens of slides on the scanner concurrently.
(the slide scanner scans at much higher resolution, though).

The post-processing problem with slides is that it is too easy to get
them "scanned crooked". And, if scanned at too low a resolution, you
start introducing artifacts as you try to rotate the skew out of
the image.