Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Duffy[_5_] Mike Duffy[_5_] is offline

Default Document Storage

On Thu, 05 May 2016 23:02:38 -0700, Don Y wrote:

using some bizarro piece of software that [...] came with the device.

My favourite was some sort of 'backpack' - type tape drive that used the
parallel or SCSI port and could hold a couple of Gb.

At that time, CD-ROM was becoming popular for distribution. Everyone had
CD-ROM readers, but not everyone had CD-ROM writers.

My boss asked if I could make him a copy of the files on a CD which he
needed to return to whoever lended it out. I said yeas, and backed-up his
CD to a tape, and of course ran a verify afterwards to be adamantly certain
that the tape had an exact representation of every byte on the CD.

During the next few weeks, I ordered a CD writer, and eventually he asks
for a re-creation of the CD. I load up the tape, select all the files, and
press 'restore'.

Up pops a box: The files you selected are read-only. Please select files to
which you have proper access and try again.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm