Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Document Storage

On Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 9:28:41 AM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:
Don,

To each his own. SWMBO had something tied to one of the checking
accounts. Then, ended up with a hassle when she closed that account;
have to notify the vendor of new account, etc. Easier just to decide
how you're going to pay *when* you go to pay, IMO.

I encountered something like that when someone made unauthorized charges to
our credit card. I had to get a new card which meant updating all the
accounts that were tied to it. Yeah, it's a hassle, but it's a very rare
event. The convenience of not having to spend a lot of time and effort
paying bills each month is worth it.

I don't like flash drives because they hide information regarding
their operating state.

For backup purposes, flash drives cost way too much per gigabyte.

I just tossed a (practically new!) 32G drive

I have a drawer full of old flash drives that I've probably used less than
5-10 times each. We upgrade to new drives with more capacity long before we
wear them out. I have a 256MB and a 512MB drive on my desk now, basically
useless these days, but I don't know what to do with them.

I also have a stack of 8GB SD cards on my desk from our digital cameras. We
upgraded to 16GB or 32GB cards for the camera and camcorder, so now I've
got a bunch of empty cards sitting around.

Obviously, I've got a lot more "data" in my archive. :
I've got about 1T of audio/music, alone

Sheesh, I only have about 100GB on my C: boot drive, a bit over 500GB on my
D: data drive, and roughly 100GB on my daughters computer.

Sorry, I meant "backup BluRay drive, backup *tape* drive, etc." I.e.
whatever hardware is required to access the media on which your data
resides.

Oh, nope, I don't have a backup Blu-Ray drive, but they're still widely
available at this point. I don't really rely on the blu-ray backups to be
readable anyway, they're just one more layer of protection. My main drive
and both external backup drives would have to fail before I need the blu-
ray backup.

apparently all that red meat is not a good thing

I can relate. My parents used to buy a full side of beef and keep it in the
freezer. Almost every meal was a steak, hamburger, etc.

Now I only eat beef once a week or less.

My problem is GOING to bed and STAYING in bed. E.g., I went to bed
just before 6A this morning. And, was up at 8:30A. It's now 11P
and I'm just getting into my "stride"...

I was a night owl when I was a teenager, but now we're usually in bed by
9:30pm and up by 5:30am.

I've got some back problems -- but no back *pain*. I'm very aware of
how I use my back lest I aggravate things.

My build causes a lot of my problems, since my back arches more than most..
Makes me look stupid when I walk too.

But, I usually don't realize I've overworked my back until it's too late. I
get focused on whatever task I'm working on, and end up paying for it
later.

Of course, the older I get, the more out of shape I get, and the easier it
is to overwork my muscles. I still try to act like I'm 30 but my body soon
reminds me I'm over 50.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Mr.AW, if you're wondering what to do with a lower capacity USB thumb drive, do what I've done. I took a 4gb drive and put all my medical records on it so I can hand it to my doctor or other medical personnel when they ask about my medical history. I've been saved twice by paramedics and the 4gb Sandisk thumb drive on a lanyard around my neck has all my information on it. The fraking medications I take fill a whole page. The first time I saw my new GP in her office, I handed her the thumb drive and she was able to print out a page with all my meds on it. I keep the drive with me on the lanyard around my neck whenever I'm away from any medical facility. If I could convince the doctor or administration to put all my X-rays and ultrasound images on my drive, I'd do that too except I may have to use a higher capacity drive. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle USB Monster