Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Competance of 'engineers' - Smart Meters

On 04/05/2016 21:20, Roger Mills wrote:
On 04/05/2016 19:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew Gabriel a écrit :
The smart meter installers are mostly trained by rote - they aren't
electricians or gas fitters. They wouldn't be able to get enough of
them fast enough for the programme, and within costs.

That sounds as if I ought to be very, very concerned indeed. How do they
justify unskilled or at best semi-skilled people doing a job like this?

They're trained to do a specific job - and nothing else.

Happens in other industries. For example, you can be trained just to
take blood samples from patients - without requiring any medical
qualifications! I don't which is the more scary.

doctors have more important things to do than take bloods. That's
what phlebotomists (bleeders) are for, and sometimes they have
got some nursing or auxiliary care experience anyway. Most
patients have decent and easy veins to access and it's really
quite easy. Kiddies can be challenging. If the patient had difficult
veins (inpatient or outpatient) then there were always more experienced
people around to assist.

I have taken more blood samples than I could ever count. St Richards
hospital didn't even employ bleeders to go round the wards in the
morning, so the haematology technicians did it. At St Bartholomews there
was a group of ladies who went around the wards first thing in the
morning then spent the rest of the day in outpatients. Any
difficult patients were sent up to the Haematology dept where the
technicians would have a second attempt and as a last resort, get one of
the same departments trainee medical haematologists to try.