Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Danny DiAmico[_2_] Danny DiAmico[_2_] is offline

Default PICTURES: Advice requested Whirlpool Duet Sport Washing Machine"popped"

On Mon, 02 May 2016 09:32:04 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

Well Dan I hope you can get it repaired but the problem with a lot electronic
controls is that when they're hit with a power surge that blows the hell out
of the protectors and blasts runs off a circuit board, all the other parts
are often damaged. MOV's will actually wear out after so many power surges.
On phone lines, me and the guys always installed extra protection and the
protectors would sacrifice themselves to protect the equipment.
The protectors are easily replaced by plugging in a new one.
At your home, you should look into a meter base surge arrester from your
power company. I think it will add a few bucks to your power bill every
month but your power company will guarantee it to protect your appliances.
I don't know what the power company policy is where you reside but it
wouldn't hurt to ask them about a whole house surge arrester. ^_^

Meter base protection:
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-50240-.../dp/B0019F6X3I

Whole house surge arrester:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...uckduckgo-d-20

Thanks for the suggestion of a whole-house surge suppressor.

I do have a generator, which kicks in automatically as the power goes
out here in California at least a dozen times a year (it's like living
in a third world country).

I'm not even counting the times the power goes out for seconds, where
the generator doesn't even kick in, or only kicks in for a few seconds,
the power is that bad from PG&E.

So, the two-hundred dollar Amazon surge suppressor you listed looks
reasonable (considering it would cost more than that to put MOVs on
all the computers and electronic devices).

I wonder how it works if I buy that two-hundred dollar part:
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-50240-.../dp/B0019F6X3I

Or, if I buy the eighty-dollar part:
http://www.amazon.com/WHOLE-LIGHTNIN...2207395&sr=8-4

Does the power company let me put it in myself?