Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Danny DiAmico[_2_] Danny DiAmico[_2_] is offline

Default PICTURES: Advice requested Whirlpool Duet Sport Washing Machine"popped"

On Sun, 01 May 2016 21:33:07 -0700, Uncle Monster wrote:

You'd be better off with a new board.
What you think is a disk capacitor could be an MOV surge arrester.
When those get blown to hell and traces burned off the circuit board,
all other components are suspect.
These newfangled electronically controlled appliances are a lot more
vulnerable to power surges than the old school electromechanical
appliances. I haven't checked recently but I once could buy
rebuilt electromechanical timers for appliances.
I hate wasting things but it's often cheaper to replace a control board.

We did have rains here in California, as Jeff Liebermann would know, where
the wind blew out the power in the mountains three time in one week.

So this was the *first* time the washer was started after the power
went out multiple times!

And you are correct that the part I thought was a capacitor is not
labelled with a C (as the rest of the caps are), but it's labelled
R16, so, it's not a cap.
http://i.cubeupload.com/RfF0Bv.jpg

The rest of the capacitors on the motor control board seem to be ok:
http://i.cubeupload.com/TWiBYR.jpg

But certainly some of the surface-mount components have fried:
http://i.cubeupload.com/xRnjw9.jpg

The good news is that the EMI suppression filter seems to be intact:
http://i.cubeupload.com/ONiqvC.jpg

And the main computer control board (CCU) seems to be in good shape:
http://i.cubeupload.com/qABhEj.jpg

Nothing seems burnt on the CCU:
http://i.cubeupload.com/zBAmq5.jpg

So, now my goal is to see where the best place to get a used or rebuilt
or new Motor Control Board (MCU) P/N W10163007 or PN 8540540 from:
http://i.cubeupload.com/ErHVuc.jpg