Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Replacement sight glass

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:28:07 -0700, wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:00:15 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 4/28/2016 11:22 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
And jeez, Iggy, teach someone how to do a proper job with Teflon tape.
... g

Since we're giving Iggy thread advice, let me add this: I sometimes
have a taped joint leak. I never have a leak on a joint where I've used
"paste" sealant. With PTFE or Teflon.

Bob

Years ago I added larger diameter gas pipe in our house. I asked what
sealant to use on the black iron pipe and was told to use the yellow
teflon tape. EVERY joint leaked. By the time I got to testing for
leaks the next day a bunch of the pipe had been framed in because we
were remodeling part of the house at the same time. So I had to
unscrew pipe that obstructed by all sorts of framing. GRRR. I then
called the gas people and they said "Rector Seal". No leaks with that
stuff. Kinda goopy but seals way better on crappy black iron pipe
threads.
Eric

Rector Seal is all I use when I plumb machine shop air lines..and Ive
installed a mile or two of it