Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default windows .... everest vs anglian?

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 18:21:10 +0100, RJH wrote:

On 29/04/2016 16:52, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 16:25:55 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

On 29/04/2016 15:53, lid wrote:

snip

Some inlaws had a new uPVC downstairs bay fitted by a national and the
who job was a mess ... and because the couple were elderly and frail,
didn't want them back in the house to make the job right so got me to
do it instead.

There were gaps between the window frame and bay post you could see
the road though and the internal windowsill was held in place with
silicon and stacks of spacers (15 high) likes the leaning Tower of
Pizza. Plus of course, uPVC trim and silicon *everywhere*.

What I don't follow with these situations is why they paid for the job -
unless they paid up front?

Yup. ;-(

Anyone who has ever seen 'Watchdog' will have seen these 'sharks'' who
start off with one vastly inflated price and slowly come down to
nearer what it should have been in the first place. Anyone conducting
their business like that should be avoided at all cost IMHO.

I had a DG quote once. A part of me died in those three hours. He ended
up stating that his children would go hungry if I didn't accept the job.

Lovely.

Uncle had one where they did the 'usual' but over a matter of a few
weeks. 8k down to 4k because (they thought he was) he was hesitating
and at that point he told them to f off. ;-)

It wasn't that 4k wasn't a good deal at the time but purely because
they had proved they were willing to rip him off in the first place.

The Mrs is like that when I get any service supplier to reduce their
cost by 50%. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Some years ago I answered an advert in a national paper to renew my drive.
I was visted, shown lots of photos and quoted a silly price. Some months
later I had a phone call "since we're doing work in the area and if you pay
cash there won't be any VAT" They quoted half the origal price. I said "I
don't do business that way" and put the phone down. I had a local firm do
something very much more attractive and costing even less |(and I paid VAT).

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England