Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default windows .... everest vs anglian?

On Friday, 29 April 2016 15:16:42 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
We're having new windows put in to our house. I've narrowed down the
choice to either Everest or Anglian. They are comparable in products
and cost.

Is there anything wrong with either of these two companies? Is one
generally preferable to the other?

Advice, please.

Well, they're pretty well match when it comes to giving ridiculously
over-inflated quotes and using hard sell techniques I believe.

I've only once let an Everest salesman through my door. Never again.

I've had both through my door, the Anglian when asked decided to prove his windows were better by dropping a demo window on the floor waking and scaring my cat!, he said that Anglian windoes don't go yellow with age (the plastic) he kept going on about how bad other installers were. He worked out a price and handed me the paper to sign, and I said I only asked you for a quote why do I need to sign anything.
I made sure he saw my eyes go towards the floor under the video where I had a webcam recording the event he saw the flashing LED'.
Within a few minites he'd packed up and left grabbing his paperwork and mumbling and headed off, quicker than he arrived, and I thought nothing could travel faster than the speed of light ;-).

The Everest bloke was quite differnt he still had the fred moult guy on his laptop measered up went through all the options it was very expensive and I wasn;t impressed so he came up with a few discounts for paying and agreing to let them film the in stallation and another discount to put a board up outside.
I even offered to film for him and showed him my youtube vid that was shown in the USA TV animal planet. He also saw the flashing LED but it didn't seem to bother him.

Another local firm indian/asian asked me where I lived and said all the windows are the same in that area , we don;t need to come and measure it will be about £200 per window. Everest were near £1000. Even I measured the windows as being slightly differnt in size, and I told him he said OK and made an appointment to come and measure, he never turned up.

So decided to go with everest, who then sent a surveyor to measure up the windows, he measured in 3 places took his time over it and double checked.
Everest also said they take out all the old box wood that sash windows have
and that they fill any gaps with expanding foam something Anglia never mentioned or even commented on.

The installers were quick and effienct for the most part.
One piece they supplied had a bit of a scratch and dent asn they said we aren't installing that's it's damaged is it OK if we just put teh filler in and retun the next day with the replacement part which was OK by me.
But for others mightnhave meant taking another day off work.

Although still expensive I was pleased with the work and the workman 2 of them just got on and did the job, didn;t even hear any bad langauge or ladish behavour and left the place clean and tidy.

No one turned up to film and no advertising boards appeared but I still got the discounts. They took all the old windows and crap with them in the van, I think I had to arrange for a skip with Anglian who really just contract out to any window installer I think.