Posted to uk.d-i-y
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default Hozelock O-rings

On 29/04/2016 08:50, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 23:39:17 -0700 (PDT), Halmyre wrote:

On Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 11:47:39 PM UTC+1, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:03:37 +0100, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Just get a mixed pack of O-rings from a plumber's merchant. It'll cost
next to nothing and those other sizes might come in useful sometime.

That reminds me of a colleague many years ago wanting ONE fibre washer
for some sort of project kit he was building for one of his kids. All
he could get (locally) was a packet of about 200 assorted washers. I
think he threw away about 199 of them...

It's a bit like those bubble-wrapped cards of 100 or so mixed button
cells from the 'pound shop' type of place. You could probably only
need 3 or 4% of them - a superb bit of marketing.

Some time ago I needed a new washer for a washing machine inlet hose. Could I buy a spare that didn't leak? Could I buggery. In the end I bought a new set of hoses and robbed the washer from that, and it worked fine. ???

Same with shower hoses, always supplied with a fibre washer that'd be OK
with brass coupling but not with plastic.
I now keep a stock of rubber washers and, somewhere (???) the same for
washing machines.

I bought a large case containing dozens of different sized rubber "O"
rings a few years ago thinking I'd never be short of one again.

I've hardly used any, they are always too thick or too thin!

Mike