Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default looking for a decent plywood for a crawlspace "floor"

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 19:38:32 -0700 (PDT), Fredd Wright
wrote:

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 6:41:38 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 21:45:28 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 4/26/2016 2:42 PM, Fredd Wright wrote:
On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 10:37:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On 25 Apr 2016 22:57:41 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Fredd Wright wrote in
:

Sorry for the confusion. I can post pictures later when i'm home, but
for now, the crawl space is on the side of the basement and goes
around the back of the house in an L shape. There are cellar doors on
the side of the house and, if i'm leaving the basement through those
doors, right before i get to the doors the crawlspace is on the left.
It's raised so the floor of the space is about chest-height. The
space is about 4 feet wide and maybe 2-3 feet high and goes back about
10 feet to the back of the house where it takes a 90 degree angle
left. I've actually never seen the crawlspace area behind the house
as i've never crawled back that far. Just planning on doing the 10
feet on the side for now. As far as water draining when i hose it,
there are plenty of holes and spaces in the side of the house where
animals have gotten in (my backyard goes right into a park) so no
problem with drainage there. I'm planning on storing things in
waterproof containers.

One thing my step father found out regarding waterproof containers is
that when the water gets high enough, they tip over. So unless the
containers seal air tight, it's a bad idea to store anything you can't
afford to lose in such a space.

Puckdropper
They don't tip if properly ballasted Load them low and heavy and
they bob around like a little tugboat

I thought of that. I may try to figure out a way to strap them in. EIther way, i'm going to try to find some good airtight containers. We always have a couple days notice before a hurricane so i can always move them upstairs in advance if i need to.

there's another issue.
if there's enough air trapped inside airtight containers, it could
condense with the cold water or cold of the basement and cause rot,
mildew ,etc.

That's why you toss in some silica gel.

You'll have to refresh it periodically. Unless it's *wet*, it's
better to leave it well ventilated, rather than even try to make it
air tight (it won't be).

What do you mean it won't be? Are you saying that no container is truly air tight and air will always get in?

Google "hermetic seal". It's exceedingly difficult, particularly for
a large container.