Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Filling a tire with "Great Stuff" expandable foam

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 08:25:12 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/28/2016 8:22 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/28/2016 8:11 AM, Frank wrote:
I know it is an old concept. Air would still leak out as tire is under
pressure and air would still permeate rubber needing occasional
replenishment.

The foam hardens when dry. As such, it seems like
it would fill the tire and be rigid. No inflating
needed, due to the rigid, hard foam.

Tires need to flex. Foams are not that ridged but would need to recover
from flexing. Stiffer foams would not recover as well.

Why does a tire need to flex? On a car, the flexing is desirable to
cushion the ride, which makes the ride more comfortable. But on a
wheelbarrow or push cart it does not matter. I have both a hand cart and
a wheelbarrow which have solid tires, and they work fine. I also have
both of these which have aired tires. All they do is waste space in my
garage or barn, because everytime I want to use them, the damn tires are
flat. There is no excuse for having to screw around with tires everytime
I want to move a load of dirt or move an appliance. I have never noticed
much difference in handling the ones with solid tires or aired tires.