Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] whoyakidding@gmail.com is offline

Default Replacement sight glass

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:22:45 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 07:24:53 -0700, wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 08:20:56 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 05:59:30 -0500, Ignoramus31353
wrote:

I sold a customer this hoist, and, unfortunately, upon delivery the
sight glass was broken.

Here are some pictures:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Sight-Glass/

He says that it is a round glass with a little groove for a o-ring.

My question is, where can I buy him a replacement glass, any idea?
McMaster seems to have complete assemblies only?
Try the manufacturer of the hoist, or better yet, go to the class
source,Swift Glass, Corning New york - contact 131 W. 22nd Street,
Elmira, NY 14903 • Phone 607.733.7166 You want a borosilicate
sight glass - give them the diameter and thickness and I'm sure they
can fix you up. They carry Corning, Schott, Pilkington, Maxos, etc.

I've purchased several glass rounds from McMaster.

This is not my area, but it looks like something that wants some
strong glass -- tempered, or, better yet, borosilicate, as Clare said.

I assumed it was an unpressurized reservoir, and the main risk of
breakage is rough handling... I'd have replaced it with plexi in
1/1000 of the time this thread will take.

Anyway, I just checked, McMaster has both borosilicate and quartz in
small sizes. I replaced a similar sight glass years ago by hand
grinding some scrap window glass on one of little stained glass
shaping thingies.

And jeez, Iggy, teach someone how to do a proper job with Teflon tape.
That one looks like a gob of spit. g

I was thinking Coyote "Engineering."