Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Advice requested Whirlpool Duet Sport Washing Machine "popped"

On 4/25/2016 7:04 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 14:35:15 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 4/25/2016 2:02 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:52:41 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 4/25/2016 12:10 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 1:45:51 PM UTC-5, Danny DiAmico wrote:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 01:09:48 -0700, Don Y wrote:

Note the procedure must be followed "to the letter". Also note the
serial numbers for which that document applies. There are probably
different sequences required to activate these modes on different
versions of the "same" product (model numbers and names are only loosely
correlated).

I think the problem is that those (otherwise very nice) diagnostic-test
instructions are for a newer model, as mine is a Duet Sport model number
WFW8410SW.

I didn't have this information before, because the door won't open (which
is where the sticker is); but I checked my records and my duet is the
"8410", which doesn't have the blueish display screen that you see in the
ones described at that (otherwise nice) web page.

Do *any* of the buttons respond (by changing the displayed indicators)
-- or are the displays "frozen", regardless of what you do?

All the buttons do all the right things. Everything lights up normally
when I press the buttons. The only things that don't work, really, is that
the door is locked and the washer won't start when I press the Start
button.

All indicators respond normally otherwise.

I was just thinking if the door latch is out of adjustment just a little,
the interlock could keep the washer from starting. I'd try banging on the
door latch with my fist to see if that could be the problem. ^_^

The latch mechanism is under a fair bit of tension. It's possible that
the mechanism "exploded" (there's a REALLY stiff spring inside to hold
the latch open/closed -- it remains locked/unlocked in the absence of
power so the spring provides that "holding power") and caused the
noise.

But, a latch stuck locked wouldn't prevent the cycle from starting;
the machine WANTS the door to be latched!

If the latch blew up holding the door closed but the switch was thrown
to the other side of the washer and thinks the door is open, you would
have that situation.

No, you would have an error indication saying "I won't start
the cycle because you have the door open". Or, a simple
"door open"/"add garment" indicator.

Except when I posted the OP had not been able to find any error codes.

Doesn't matter. He said it wouldn't start. He said it wouldn't
CANCEL (stop). If you know how a front loader works, you'd realize his
attempting these two things with the washer would have had it try
to LOCK and UNLOCK the door. If either was not possible, it would
have signalled an error. So, it was "preoccupied" with some other
problem

He had long ago posted the model number. Did you attempt to find any
documentation about the product? Or, did you just "shoot from the hip"?

http://applianceassistant.com/ServiceManuals/8178558_l-78_whirlpool_duet_front-loading_automatic_washer.pdf

(different, but similar, model)

Note the POSSIBLE error codes (page 6-2 onward).

"FAILURE/ERROR DISPLAY CODES Communication of failure codes will
be displayed on the washer console by all cycle lights flashing
and standing status lights."