Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Advice requested Whirlpool Duet Sport Washing Machine "popped"

The latch mechanism is under a fair bit of tension. It's possible that
the mechanism "exploded" (there's a REALLY stiff spring inside to hold
the latch open/closed -- it remains locked/unlocked in the absence of
power so the spring provides that "holding power") and caused the
noise.

From what I have read so far - this is where I'd start.
Try pressing the door in and out ; maybe jiggle up & down slightly -
to see if anything happens -
.. with power on - to generate an error code ?
Pop the lid & examine the door lock mechanism -
carefully - in case the spring is waiting to bite you ..
John T.