Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Advice requested Whirlpool Duet Sport Washing Machine "popped"

Danny DiAmico wrote:

There is no water because the wash never started, so, it could
be the door interlock. Right now I'm searching for a model-specific
troubleshooting manual that can give me diagnostic codes.

There is a place you can slied a screwdriver or table knife to unlock the
door, if you need to.

The smarts are usually just one small PC board in the "console" at the back
of the washer. Often there are a few angled screws and the while thing
lifts straight up. (OK, looks like yours is a front load, so the
construction is a bit different.)

Most of the newer machines, and I'll bet all of the recent front-loads, use
3-phase motors and VFDs integrated into the controller board. I suspect the
load pop was something in the VFD blowing. You ought to pull the board and
inspect for burst components or traces burned off the board. If you find
any of that, it may be best to just replace the whole board (although it
will be expensive.)

We have one of the super-efficient top loaders, and I've done quite a bit of
maintenance on it.

Jon