Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice requested Whirlpool Duet Sport Washing Machine "popped"

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 8:38:03 PM UTC-5, Danny DiAmico wrote:
Hi Guys,

Any washing machine experienced folks here?

Wife pressed the "Power" button on the Costco Whirlpool Duet Sport washing
machine and then, when she pressed the separate "Start" button, something
popped. She said it sounded like a sharp crack, like a "bottle breaking".

It has power (although I cycled the home circuit breakers anyway), but it
won't do anything now when the "Start" button is pressed (nor when the
"Cancel" button is pressed). All the lights on the front light up normally
(it seems).

So, it will power up, but it won't do anything (e.g., no water turns on
and no spinning occurs - in fact, there are no sounds whatsoever from
inside). It won't even turn off with the "Cancel" button (although it will
turn off when I unplug it and then plug it back in).

It was bought in 2008 and it gets used about once a week or so (a bit more
now that we have my sister and her kids living with us).

Any suggestions?

Did your wife smell anything burning. All these newfangled electronically controlled appliances have components that contain "Magic Smoke" which is necessary for the electronics to operate. When the MS escapes, the appliance stops working. The age of your appliance could mean that an electronic component called an "electrolytic capacitor" has failed. Unfortunately, manufacturers often save a few cents on parts by purchasing components that just meet the requirements to make the unit work. The bane of modern electronic devices is the inexpensive electrolytics that manufacturers seem to be fond of using. Anyone who works with electronics can spot a failed electrolytic capacitor because it has swelled or is leaking. Here's a video of a fellow replacing some failed electrolytic capacitors in a TV set. This will give you some idea of what to look for on your washer's control board or power supply. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvlNKZ8GzEg

[8~{} Uncle Smoked Monster