Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default rpm for sanding

Electric Comet wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 11:47:47 -0800
Kevin Miller wrote:

I've also seen the heat cause checks (cracks) in the wood. Slower is
better.

not sure i have ever seen that but it makes sense if you have moisture
of any kind it will expand

I like to power sand with the 2" disk in my drill. Doing so, and
varying the speed helps create a random pattern, sort of like a
random orbit sander. So moderate lathe speed, and moderate sander
speed is what I usually shoot for...

what grit do you use
sounds like it would remove a lot of material quickly

does the disk have a soft backing because i would gouge my work
with the disk edge i think

Food for thought. Your comments would be just a little less coherent if you
left the spaces out between the words.