Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default rpm for sanding

usually set to lower rpms for the sanding
but i am wondering if it matters much

was lazy and turning some spindles and sanded at spindle turning speed
and did not see much difference

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 6:48:16 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
usually set to lower rpms for the sanding
but i am wondering if it matters much

was lazy and turning some spindles and sanded at spindle turning speed
and did not see much difference

I just sand at whatever speed I turned at.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 21:23:59 -0700 (PDT)
"Dr. Deb" wrote:

I just sand at whatever speed I turned at.

is yours a variable speed lathe with electronic control

mine is not and so instead of fiddling with the belt i just
left it

i might slow it if i had electronic control only because one thing
i did notice was that it was harder to see the material then when
i sanded at lower rpms

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2016-04-15 23:46:07 +0000, Electric Comet said:

usually set to lower rpms for the sanding
but i am wondering if it matters much

was lazy and turning some spindles and sanded at spindle turning speed
and did not see much difference

High speed sanding can generate heat with causes the sand-paper to
break down.

I usually power sand, since I can free-wheel the lathe I just leave it
"off" and let the sander spin the object

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph E Lindberg wrote in news:571315e3$0$3770$b1db1813
:

High speed sanding can generate heat with causes the sand-paper to
break down.

I usually power sand, since I can free-wheel the lathe I just leave it
"off" and let the sander spin the object

What are you using to do the power sanding? Some kind of flapper?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2016-04-17 07:24:05 +0000, Puckdropper said:

Ralph E Lindberg wrote in news:571315e3$0$3770$b1db1813
:

High speed sanding can generate heat with causes the sand-paper to
break down.

I usually power sand, since I can free-wheel the lathe I just leave it
"off" and let the sander spin the object

What are you using to do the power sanding? Some kind of flapper?

Puckdropper

Discs on a right-angle drill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 21:48:55 -0700
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

High speed sanding can generate heat with causes the sand-paper to
break down.

indeed and with some of the paper that has the gooey backing it melts
and can stick to the skin

the burn that keeps on giving

i have a piece of suede i keep in the sandpaper box
leather does not transfer heat well

I usually power sand, since I can free-wheel the lathe I just leave
it "off" and let the sander spin the object

never thought of doing that

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2016-04-15 23:46:07 +0000, Electric Comet said:

usually set to lower rpms for the sanding
but i am wondering if it matters much

was lazy and turning some spindles and sanded at spindle turning speed
and did not see much difference

High speed sanding can generate heat with causes the sand-paper to
break down.

I've also seen the heat cause checks (cracks) in the wood. Slower is
better.

I usually power sand, since I can free-wheel the lathe I just leave it
"off" and let the sander spin the object

I like to power sand with the 2" disk in my drill. Doing so, and
varying the speed helps create a random pattern, sort of like a random
orbit sander. So moderate lathe speed, and moderate sander speed is
what I usually shoot for...

....Kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 11:47:47 -0800
Kevin Miller wrote:

I've also seen the heat cause checks (cracks) in the wood. Slower is
better.

not sure i have ever seen that but it makes sense if you have moisture
of any kind it will expand

I like to power sand with the 2" disk in my drill. Doing so, and
varying the speed helps create a random pattern, sort of like a
random orbit sander. So moderate lathe speed, and moderate sander
speed is what I usually shoot for...

what grit do you use
sounds like it would remove a lot of material quickly

does the disk have a soft backing because i would gouge my work
with the disk edge i think if it was rigid

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin Miller wrote:

I've also seen the heat cause checks (cracks) in the wood. Slower is
better.

not sure i have ever seen that but it makes sense if you have moisture
of any kind it will expand

I like to power sand with the 2" disk in my drill. Doing so, and
varying the speed helps create a random pattern, sort of like a
random orbit sander. So moderate lathe speed, and moderate sander
speed is what I usually shoot for...

what grit do you use
sounds like it would remove a lot of material quickly

does the disk have a soft backing because i would gouge my work
with the disk edge i think

Food for thought. Your comments would be just a little less coherent if you
left the spaces out between the words.