Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default $1,000 Gun Tax Pushed as "Role Model" for States

Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

In article , says...

Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

If you have never tried it, set a target out about 20 feet away (
normally about as far as any shot in most homes). Make that target a
sheet of cardboard. Then about a foot behind it, set another piece of
cardboard. The bullet will hit the first cardboard, come apart and the
second piece will look like it was hit with a shotgun. Those fragments
have very little enegery left. In a house something similar will hapen.
It will hit the first piece of wall and break up. The handgun bullets
will penetrate several layers of wall.

Could you cite the origin of this info?

It was told to me by someone I work with years ago. I did not know to
believe it or not, so I tried it. Loaded some varmit bullets for my
AR15 and tried it. Bullet hit the first piece of cardboard and came
apart. The second piece about 2 feet behind the first looked like it
was hit by a shotgun. By the way, the same bullet will penetrate aleast
a piece of iron about 1/4 of an inch thick. Tried that also.

Have shot enough handguns into various things to know about that also.

For handguns they have all sorts of what they call defense loads. The FBI is
also (reportedly) going back to 9 because of this. Their testing wanted
expansion to limit collateral damage. For Hornady this is called critical
defense. They also has the FBI version called critical duty. I believe
Hornady has a new 223 bullet out that has a high temp polymer in the nose
because the the old stuff was melting. Possibly this what you were seeing.

--
Tekkie