Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default rpm for sanding

On 2016-04-15 23:46:07 +0000, Electric Comet said:

usually set to lower rpms for the sanding
but i am wondering if it matters much

was lazy and turning some spindles and sanded at spindle turning speed
and did not see much difference

High speed sanding can generate heat with causes the sand-paper to
break down.

I've also seen the heat cause checks (cracks) in the wood. Slower is
better.

I usually power sand, since I can free-wheel the lathe I just leave it
"off" and let the sander spin the object

I like to power sand with the 2" disk in my drill. Doing so, and
varying the speed helps create a random pattern, sort of like a random
orbit sander. So moderate lathe speed, and moderate sander speed is
what I usually shoot for...

....Kevin