Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Why did back coil refrigerators vanish?

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 12:44:06 PM UTC-4, Frustrated wrote:

The condenser coils are zigzagged underneath in a way no vacuum can reach.
Have a 2 year old warped and ruined bamboo floor to remind me now that I
should have bought the brush (that no one tells you about) and been cleaning
this inaccessible part every 6 months or so.

I have one refrigerator where the coils are horizontal and stacked. That special brush will get between them.

But my other one has angled coils in a \/\/ configuration (side view). From the front you can vacuum the front \ of the coil. By moving away from the wall and taking the machine screws out and removing the back cover, you can vacuum the / of the coil. Well, part of it. That compressor makes access tricky.

However there is no way to get vacuum or brush anywhere near the inner /\ coils. I blow them off with a can of spray air, as best I can. It's better than nothing but doesn't really clean them.