Ross Mac

Default Is TV Service the Blacksmith of the 21 Century

"5HAD0W" wrote in message ...
In article , Asimov
wrote:

"Leonard Caillouet" bravely wrote to "All" (27 Dec 03 06:50:00)
--- on the heady topic of " Is TV Service the Blacksmith of the 21
Century"

LC From: "Leonard Caillouet"
LC I have no doubt that I could go to any decent sized
LC market and have a job right away because I know how to repair
LC profitably. But then, so could a good blacksmith who understood

the
LC market, I suppose.
LC Leonard Caillouet

There are still blacksmiths who make a living at it these days.

... You may be a tech if you're entertained by a 6-pack and sparking HV.

I work in industrial circuit repair and delve into domestic circuit
repair only as a side line. I cannot make a reasonable profit repairing
domestic equipment i.e. TV, Video etc because I have to spend too much
time finding the info I need, but maybe this is because it is not my
full time business. In the industrial repair market margins are much
higher as replacement board costs are so much higher (often for much
less complicated circuits).

IMHO anyone who is competent as a TV engineer can easily move on to
more profitable industrial repair. But you have to be willing to make a
digression from what you know to what you may not.

If you are prepared to see a circuit as just a circuit no matter what
the end product is then you will survive.

If you can see past the fact that that 10 year old CNC controller is a
piece of industrial equipment and realise that it is just a circuit
that has been used for 10 years and probably needs the caps changing
then you will survive.

If you give me an inverter, a PLC, an industrial monitor and 3 TV's
with unknown (to me) chassis, I can give you the inverter, PLC and
industrial monitor back, repaired within 2 days (most of the time
waiting for replacment components) but you may have to wait a little
longer for the TV's

Hi there, what type of CNC's did you work on?
I found the same thing as you have.....Happy New Year, Ross