Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe[_4_] John Doe[_4_] is offline

Default Will 3/8" aluminum withstand pedal power?

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in news:nemrd0$qug$1@dont-
email.me:

"John B." wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 12:32:14 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

John B. wrote:

John Doe wrote:
whit3rd wrote:
John Doe wrote:

Using 6061 3/8" thick aluminum to hold the front sprocket on a
bicycle.

A 1/2 inch square hole through 3/8 inch thick aluminum fits
over
the bottom bracket square tapered spindle.

Why can't you use a proper crank with spider that takes
replaceable
ring gears?

Because I'm using a 450 max RPM motor to turn the
sprocket/chainring.
The chainring must be extraordinarily small, like 14 to 18 teeth.
There are no crankssets with chainrings that small. That, plus I
wouldn't want/need the extra hardware.

Inner chain rings on a triple often are in the 20-something tooth
range. I'm looking at a 24 tooth at the moment and there is easily
enough meat there to go to 20 teeth and maybe even smaller.

Even if it could be down to 20 teeth, it wouldn't work for my
application.

If there were an easier way to do it, I would have found it. I
already
have turned the other three parts of making an electric bike into
ridiculously easy tasks (with hardly any tools). Easily cutting a
square
hole through an appropriate piece of metal would make it all four.

One can only speculate, "is your way the best way"?

"If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail".

Some people are fixated on doing things in a complex way, they lack
resourcefulness, they haven't been taught to think for themselves.