Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe[_4_] John Doe[_4_] is offline

Default Will 3/8" aluminum withstand pedal power?

Karl Townsend wrote:

John Doe wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/275322...in/dateposted/

If you drive it like my 84 year old mom, you might be OK.

Drive it like my son and its "Gone in 60 Seconds"

I watched that movie for the first time a few months ago. Always
remember it being talked about. It was okay until the never ending car
chase scene (it might have been special for the time).

So, that 3/8 inch thick 6061 aluminum will deform?

Its made

I haven't even started on that part. But all it (theoretically) takes is
to cut a square hole through the aluminum slab, roughly shape the outer
area, spin it on the spindle to mark a circle, superglue the chainring
on it, and drill the holes to solidly attach the chainring. Then press it
on to the square tapered spindle.

The main function of the socket that buttresses that aluminum slab onto
the square tapered spindle is to accept the drill connection as shown in
the other picture...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/275322...in/dateposted/

try and let us know. make it out of tool steel next time.

If it's as easy to make. Problem is making it. Tool steel would make
cutting the square hole much more difficult for me.