Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Using a Sacrificial anode on a car to suppress or at least help prevent rusting

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:50:23 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 4/12/2016 9:18 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
The way it works is that the anode/cathode (the cathode is
the steel, iron, aluminum alloy, brass or bronze) combination forms a
battery, and the anode material is "eaten" away as the "battery"
conducts electricity. The water is the electrolyte.

Right! And where is the electrolyte in a car?

Bob

I assume it's an intermittant thing: when the area is wet, you have an
electrolyte. When it's dry, you don't have to worry about corrosion,
anyway.

Again, I haven't seen it used on a car. I'm guessing about how it
would work in practice.

--
Ed Huntress