Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001 without any tools

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 6:54:32 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus6088" wrote in message
Hello, I need to make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001" accuracy
without any tools. Please help me with creative ideas.

Just wind a wire around the shaft, with the turns pushed snugly
together. Dip the assembly in solder, then pull the wire off.

That was a real method to originate a precision master screw once.
They wound a brass and a black iron wire side by side so only the
brass would stick in the solder, unwound the iron wire, then used the
brass "thread" to guide a cutter on a steel leadscrew blank.

A little-known local inventor here invented a screw cutting lathe at
about the same time as Maudslay in England.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_...son_(machinist)
America would have started the Industrial Revolution if England hadn't
been slightly ahead of us.

--jsw

Neat! Some real out of the box thinking.

Dan