Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Tuning Up A Century Old Dresser - With Roller Guides

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 7:30:20 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think that they are solid wood (?) because I don't see any plies.
Did they use plywood for drawer bottoms back then?

http://imgur.com/pRNq7Ab

In any case, the insides of the drawers are finished and I don't
want to replace the bottoms. Again, suggestions for flattening them
would be most welcome.

Is this picture of the front of the drawer? If so, it appears to have
a molded edge that extends slightly beyond the front; is that correct?
Is the bottom flush to the bottom of the drawer front; i.e., nor set into a groove?

It's a close up of the previous picture, which is the back of the drawer showing the gap and (barely) the 3 nails "holding" the back of the bottom
into the back panel of the drawer box.

Here's the full back:

http://imgur.com/Y7aKfPU

Now zoom in to the left of the center nail:

http://imgur.com/pRNq7Ab

Is the bottom nailed to the borrom edge of the back?

Yes, with 3 nails as seen in the picture if the full back.

Groove or on top of a batten? How is it attached to the sides? In
either case, how much do the sides extend below the bottom?

Grooves in the sides and front. The groves extend about 1/2" below the
bottom panel. The bottom panel is now kind of bowl shaped, sagging left
to right as well as front to back.