Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Tuning Up A Century Old Dresser - With Roller Guides

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 12:12:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 18:09:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

The biggest problem with the dresser is that the bottoms of the long
drawers sag a bit (actually, a lot) so I may need to add some "beams"
to flatten them out. (suggestions welcome)

In any case, the insides of the drawers are finished and I don't want
to replace the bottoms. Again, suggestions for flattening them would
be most welcome.

I recently reinforced sagging drawer bottoms - on a modern dresser -
from the inside of the drawers ! I had some large 1 1/2 inch
hardwood dowel that I ripped in half - the halves were surprisingly
stiff & strong - placed them inside & screwed in from the drawer back
; toe-nail-screwed from inside the drawer into the drawer front ;
and up through the drawer bottom. The round-top of the dowel
looked ok inside the drawer, too ...
The crappy drawer construction made it difficult to fix any other way
- - you might have better options with a solid antique.
John T.

That's a consideration. Thanks